Predictable motion is achieved by swinging the rifle through the point of aim, as opposed to attempting to hold the rifle on the point of aim. Muscular tension in hold creates oscillation which translates into unpredictable motion, where directed movement eg 'swinging' the rifle through the point of aim causes the muscles involved to exert force only in one direction resulting in predictable motion. This is the 'trigger ambush technique'. The amount of swing through the target does not have to be great, simply enough to take the muscles out of isometric tension and put them into directed motion. The speed of the 'swing through the target' does not have to be great, again simply enough to achieve the desired result. Trigger pull used in this technique can be either 'command fire' or 'surprise break'. As with moving shooter, or moving target, or both scenarios using the 'trigger ambush technique' requires anticipating where the point of aim will be a moment later in time, and triggering the shot at just the right time to achive the desired accuracy.

In 'Command Fire' trigger technique the shooter takes up about 75% of the trigger weight when the rifle is first aimed at the target and the point of aim is 'acceptable'. When it is desired to fire the rifle, the remaining 25% of pull is added quickly and smoothly without disturbing the point of aim. The object of the technique is to produce an accurate shot at a given moment in time. This moment may be to synchronize multiple shooters, or it may be to coordinate point of aim vs target movement (which its self may be due to actual movement of the target, or intentional movement of the point of aim as described above). Command fire is very similar to a 'jerk' which comes from anticipation and anxiety. It is easy to convert a good 'command fire' into a 'jerk' if you are anxious about your ability, stability, accuracy, target movement, wind change, or any of a few hundred other things your mind can make up. The key to accurate commanded fire, is to remain focused on sight picture, trigger control, and most importantly follow through. Numerous repetitions of the technique will imbed it into your muscle memory releaving much of the anxiety initially experienced.

Classic trigger control is thus. The shooter holds the point of aim as close to the desired point of impact as is possible. There will be some oscillation due to the isometric nature of the position. As the point of aim approaches the desired point of impact, some of the weight of the trigger is taken up. As the point of aim departs from the desired point of impact the trigger weight is held. When the point of aim again approaches the desired point of impact more trigger weight is taken up. This cycle repeats unti the shot breaks. A example of the employment of this technique is exemplified by the standing position used in National Match and Olympic competition. The position is inherently the least stable, and the shooter must attempt to control nearly his or her entire body to successfully shoot accurately in this way.

Trigger Hand Position
Trigger Finger Geometry
Trigger Finger Sensitization
Trigger Contact
Trigger Take-up
Surprise Break
Command Fire
Trigger Followthrough

Trigger Finger Discipline; Semi-Auto